Celebrating International Women’s Day 2015 at Audible
International Women’s Day (IWD) is a global, century-old tradition: a day heralding the achievements of women past, present and future. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, International Women’s Day is a national holiday. At Audible, 2015 was the first year we celebrated IWD, under the aegis of Women@Audible (in Newark) and in partnership with Women@Amazon and Amazon Women Engineers in Seattle and around the world. Here are some highlights of the day…
- Even though IWD was March 8th (a Sunday), Women@Amazon continued to celebrate on March 9th, too!
- Women@Audible (our chapter of Women@Amazon) filled a large conference room with men and women who care about fostering diversity in the workplace.
- It was unexpectedly thrilling to connect with hundreds of colleagues in 20 cities around the globe in real time, via live streaming. Hello, Cape Town!
- Amazing stats and stories from panelists: Amazon’s global work force is 37% women; Amazon employees volunteering for Coder Dojo nurture programming talent in the next generation.
- Applause for the Women@Audible video (produced by Reshma Khan) highlighting our diverse career paths into Audible (check out the video after the jump).
- Kalpana Banerjee sparked global discussion offline with her three “magical” pointers for success: Ask for what you need. Prioritize ruthlessly. Use data to make your case.
- Time to unwind and hang out together after the panel, thanks to Kat Lambrix.
- Huffington Post and Diana Gabaldon retweeted @audible_com’s (and Monica Vaccari’s!) IWD-themed social content.
- Event leader Erin Karcher had about 3 weeks to co-ordinate all of Audible’s IWD participation, and pulled everything together masterfully.
- And the 1 Inspirational Moment from International Women’s Day 2015 at Audible……[drumroll, please]….. Co-workers and friends celebrating together!
Check out the diverse career paths the Women@Audible have taken: